When training for a race or another event, have you ever had the experience where completing a certain distance feels like an effortless walk in the park, but the next day the same distance feels like running up a mountain in a hail storm? During Girls on the Run, girls learn about the power of positive self-talk and how telling ourselves positive affirmations can help us in difficult situations. For those days when it feels like you're running through a hail storm, channel positive self-talk by having a mantra - something to repeatedly tell yourself to encourage you to keep going.
Here are a few to get you started:
- I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I'm done
- When you can't run with your legs anymore, run with your heart
- Slow or fast, a mile is a mile
- It doesn't get easier, you get stronger
- If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
- Your legs are not giving out, your head is giving up.
- The body achieves what the mind believes.
- Strive for progress, not perfection.
- I'm doing this for me.
- My body is stronger than my mind thinks it is.
Do you have a go-to mantra that you use when running? We'd love to hear it! Share it with us on Instagram or Twitter using #GirlsontheRun.